Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Love Notes (But Not the Kind You Pass in Math Class)

Some people express their love by showering their significant other with expensive gifts. I express mine with scrapbook paper and a hot glue gun. In true form, I made this frame to give to Joey on Valentine's Day. And with that, we've started a new tradition.


On this frame, we use a dry erase marker to leave loooove notes for each other. Sometimes sweet. Sometimes funny. Sometimes sentimental. Sometimes to say, "I'm sorry". I love the excitement of wondering when the message on the frame will change. I love learning what Joey appreciates about me. And I love encouraging my hubs with kind words. All in all, it's been fun to come up with new ways to recognize each other for our daily awesomeness.

But some days, its tough to come up with something new - because frankly, sometimes (Can I be honest?) I get annoyed with my dear, sweet husband. (And can I be even more honest??? I know I am way more annoying than he ever is.) Sometimes our expectations don't line up perfectly. Sometimes we ::gasp:: argue about things. Such are the realities of marriage, I'm coming to learn.

I'm realizing that marriage is more than just romance. From Gary Thomas' book, Sacred Marriage:
"Romantic love has no elasticity to it. It can never be stretched; it simply shatters. Mature love, the kind demanded of a good marriage, must stretch, as the sinful human condition is such that all of us bear conflicting emotions... This is the reality of the human heart, the inevitability of two sinful people pledging to live together, with all their faults, for the rest of their lives."
So as we work to build that mature love that can stretch through all the twists and turns life will throw at us, I appreciate this daily tradition. Those days when I'm frustrated, annoyed, and feeling less than lovey-dovey towards this man I married... those are the days that I most need to pause and remember what an incredible man my husband is, how blessed I am to have him, and the countless ways he makes my life better.

What about you? How do you take time to remember what it is you love about the ones you love? I'm always up to hearing new ideas. Especially if it involves a DIY project.

No comments:

Post a Comment